To download the entire census along with additional tables in PDF and EXCEL formats, click here
2014 Civic Census Overview
From the City of Calgary, a summary of the results from the 2014 Civic Census are as follows.
1. TOTAL POPULATION: for 2014 is 1,195,194 up 38,508 residents from 2013.
- Calgary’s population grew from 1,156,686 in April 2013 to 1,195,194 in April 2014. This represents an increase of 3.33%. This level of population growth is similar to what was experienced in 2013.
- Saddleridge leads the way in growth with a population increase of 2,373 residents. Seven other communities also had an increase of more than 1,000 residents.
The communities with a population increase of more than 1,000 are:
- Auburn Bay (2,242 additional residents)
- Cranston (1,858 additional residents)
- Skyview Ranch (1,759 additional residents)
- Evanston (1,704 additional residents)
- Panorama Hills (1,384 additional residents)
- Aspen Woods (1,095 additional residents)
- Beltline (1,091 additional residents)
2. NATURAL INCREASE: for the 2013-2014 period was 10,491, similar to the level of naturally increase seen in 2013.
- Natural increase is a result of the excess of births over deaths. The natural increase was 10,491 persons, up 231 from the previous period of 2012-2013.
3. NET MIGRATION: experienced similar levels as seen in 2013 resulting in 28, 017 additional residents moving to Calgary.
- Net migration is the difference between the total population growth recorded and the natural increase. At 28,017, there was an increase in net migration from 2013’s net migration of 26,201.
4. HOUSING: housing stock continues to rise with an increase of 9,865 dwelling units, bringing the total number of dwelling units in the city to 478,223, an increase of 2.06%.
- The number of vacant dwelling units in Calgary is now 9,315, a decrease of 2,467 from the 11,782 vacant units in 2013. A vacant dwelling is defined as a dwelling that is suitable and available for occupancy and does not include those dwellings under construction or renovation.
- The overall vacancy rate in the city is 2.01%, down from 2.59% in April 2013.
- The number of dwellings under construction is 8,873, up 823 from 8,050 in 2013.
- There are now 453,626 occupied dwellings. Of this number, 311,782 or 68.73% are owner-occupied. In 2013, the comparable percentage was 68.50%.